Salto - Historical records have illustrated the presence of an indigenous village of Guaianás or Guaianazes, Tupi-Guarani, near the waterfall, which they called Ytu Guaçu – big fall in their native language. At the end of the seventeenth century, the territory of Salto was a private property, Sítio Cachoeira, part of São Vicente. With the discovery of gold in Cuiabá, in the early eighteenth century, the region worked as a turning point for those inner regions of the colony. Politically, the arrival of the republic coincided with the separation of the city from Itu, with administrative autonomy. The name was simplified to Salto back in 1917.
Tourist attractions: Parque de Lavras (park), museum of the city of Salto and waterfall.