São José dos Campos - Founded 10 km from its present location by José de Anchieta, had various names until it reaches the current reference due to the topography of the region. Became a municipality in 1767, leaving Jacareí. It was originally an Indian village of Guaianazes natives, who emigrated from Piratininga in 1585. It was established on the shores of Rio Comprido, in a farm, as determined by José de Anchieta, before his transfer from São Vicente to Espírito Santo. Also in mid-eighteenth century, this village was known as Aldeia Velha. The action of the Jesuits was almost extinct when they were expelled from Brazil in 1759. The development of the Vila de São José do Paraíba occurred only in the late eighteenth century with the advent of coffee, when Vale do Paraíba became its production center. At that time, the name was São José dos Campos.
Tourist attractions: São Francisco Xavier (district), trails, hiking, mountains, peaks, rocks, churches and museums.
Belongs to the Mantiqueira circuit.