Areias - Areias derives from the Tupi "haie" which means link. Areias was initially a district, established in January 1748 under the name of Santana da Paraíba Nova. In 1801, became district of Peace. Elevated to city status in 1857, changing its name to Areias. In 1873, became a chomarc. The colonial houses of the city reveal its strength in the nineteenth century, the highlight being the Main Church, the Old Figueira, venue for the creation of the village, and the Solar Imperial Hotel.
Other attractions: Dam Funil, waterfall Caroba and source of river Paraitinga.
Belongs to two circuits: Historic Valley and Royal Road.