Guararema - The construction of the chapel next to São Benedito attracted residents and giving origin to the village of Guararema, Tupi-Guarani word meaning "Pau d'alho", because of the abundance of this tree in the region. In 1611 the settlement of Escada was founded on the river Paraíba do Sul. In 1732, the Capuchin missionaries arrived. In 1872, it was elevated to District of Peace and in 1890 it became a municipality.
Tourist attractions: Grand Island, City Park Pedra Montada and Recanto do Américo - Pau D'Alho.
Belongs to the Caminhos das Águas Nascentes circuit.