Igaratá - Its name means strong and resistant canoe. There is no exact date of foundation, it is believed to have been in the seventeenth century. In 1864, the Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Patrocínio reaches another category. In 1868, it is annexed to the municipality of Santa Isabel. In 1954, it became independent and emancipated. In the early 60's, with the project of building a dam to produce energy to meet development needs of the Vale do Paraiba the municipality was sacrificed. The Nova Igaratá was officially born in 1969, 3 km from the old Igaratá. All residents were transferred, building homes on land donated by CESP.