Itararé - means "stone carved by the river". The fields of São Pedro de Itararé were already known by cattle cowboys since 1693. The first allotment was granted there in 1725. In 1820, it was noted by Saint Hilaire, French naturalist, the existence of a small village called Itararé on the left bank of the stream of Prata. Its historical formation dates from 1879. Itararé always took part in the various cycles of the economy of the state, such as cotton and wheat, and more recently tourism, which is emerging as a new option.
Tourist attractions: the Barreira Ecological Park, Poço do Encantado, river beaches, Serra da Montaria, Corisco Valley, Chato Hill, trails and waterfalls.